There are risks to engaging your audiences online. Understanding these risks is one of the many things you need to get your hands around as you develop a social media strategy.
Thanks to Kami Watson Huyse, APR, of My PR Pro, for defining these 10 risks of engagement. I attended her presentation today at the PRSA International Conference.
Risks and Likelihood
- Negative comments – likely
- Loss of control over the message – likely
- Neglect – likely
- Misunderstanding of the culture of the blogosphere – likely
- Unprepared or loose cannon employees – possible
- Fueling criticism – possible
- Legal liabilities – unlikely
- Losing the farm – unlikely
- Negative impact on stock price – unlikely
- Tort lawsuits – unlikely