.net, http://www.netmag.co.uk/, has published a list of common website design mistakes. Read the complete article at http://www.netmag.co.uk/zine/home/the-top-10-design-mistakes
- Stick with standard user interface items. Don’t try to create your own.
- Use a consistent design, a keep design elements in the same place.
- Design to needs and audience, not to the latest “trends.”
- Use design to highlight great content. Even great design can’t make a content-free website great.
- Don’t require upgrades and plug ins.
- Don’t use Flash to create websites. Use flash for highlights and special features. Use Flash elements for specific components, and stick to HTML for the rest.
- Make the purpose of the site clear.
- Ask users about their needs and listen to the answers.
- Keep layouts flexible.
- Focus on the user experience. Design should enhance that experience and not get in the way.