In his keynote presentation at the PRSA Intenational Convention, Bob Lutz, vice chairman of global product development for General Motors offered the following definition for corporate communications:
- Communications is about making a connection.
- Communications must say something. Effective messaging is presented skillfully, directly, accirately, precisely and honestly.
- Communications has value that advertising does not.
- Communications should view the media as an opportunity and not an obstacle.
- Communicators must evolve with communications.
His last point is perhaps the most meaningful to me. My college career happened before the Internet, websites, blogs, webinars, and e-mail – yet all of these are now part of my routine work. The print newsletter, a staple of my early work, is all but dead.
Does this definition ring true for you? Share your thoughts.