Last week I had the opportunity to participate in PRSA’s“The Art of Listening” teleseminar. Jason Falls, author of the Social Media Explorer blog, offered some great resources for listening to customers with online tools.
The presentation slides are available online.
My key takeaways:
- There are several free tools that can be used to monitor conversations online. (Free is my favorite price.) These include: Google Alerts, Twitter Search, Technorati, Bloglines and IceRocket.
- Track: number of mentions, positive/negative, tone – about you and perhaps also about one or more competitors
- Respond rapidly, even if it is with “I don’t know” – but find out and follow up
- Ideas for credible contributions by companies: information on new products, ask for input on new products, ask for reactions to proposed policies.
- Start by listening.
- Learn to trust your customers.