According to a new study by ExactTarget, based on more than 1,500 consumer interviews:
- 58% of U.S. online consumers begin their day interacting with companies on e-mail
- 20% start their day on search engines
- 11%start on Facebook
Morgan Stewart, principal, ExactTarget’s research and education group, says
“Consumers who check email first tend to be more task-oriented, subscribe to more emails and interact with brands across email and social media to obtain deals, promotions or new product information in stark contrast to people who initially check Facebook, who tend to draw firmer, more segregated boundaries and become fans of brands for entertainment purposes or to show support for a company or product.”
Other key findings of the research
- 93% of U.S. consumers subscribe to email marketing messagesand
- 42% of U.S. online consumers use Facebook at least once a day. And, of these:
- 69% are a fan of one or more companies
- 54% of U.S. consumers between the ages of 18 and 24 are fans of brands on Facebook.
- While consumers between the ages of 18 and 34 are the most active demographic on Facebook and Twitter, they are also among the most active on email.
- 43% of all online consumers are either fans or followers of at least one brand on Twitter or Facebook
- 68% of daily Twitter users follow at least one brand, yet only 7% of U.S. consumers participate on Twitter with that frequency
More information about the study.