Nielsen’s “State of the Media: The Social Media Report – Q3 2011” presents a snapshot of the current social media landscape and audiences in the U.S. and other major markets. Social media’s popularity continues to grow, connecting people with just about everything they watch and buy.
The value of the time consumers spend online and on social networks and blogs continues to grow, most visible through the influence on purchase decisions. For instance, 60 percent of people who use three or more digital means of research for product purchases learned about a specific brand or retailer from a social networking site. 48 percent of these consumers responded to a retailer’s offer posted on Facebook or Twitter.
In the U.S., social networks and blogs reach nearly 80 percent of active U.S. Internet users and represent the majority of Americans’ time online. The value of the time consumers spend online and on social networks and blogs continues to grow, most visible through the influence on purchase decisions.
- Social networks and blogs continue to dominate Americans’ time online, now accounting for nearly a quarter of total time spent on the Internet
- Social media has grown rapidly – today nearly 4 in 5 active Internet users visit social networks and blogs
- Americans spend more time on Facebook than they do on any other U.S. website
- Close to 40% of social media users access social media content from their mobile phone
- Social networking apps are the third most-used among U.S. smartphone owners
- Internet users over the age of 55 are driving the growth of social networking through the Mobile Internet
Although a larger number of women view online video on social networks and blogs, men are the heaviest online video users overall streaming more videos and watching them longer.
- 70% of active online adult social networkers shop online, 12% more likely than the average adult Internet user
- 53% of active adult social networkers follow a brand, while 32% follow a celebrity
- Across a snapshot of 10 major global markets, social networks and blogs reach over three-quarters of active Internet users
- Tumblr is an emerging player in social media, nearly tripling its audience from a year ago