Blogging is more of a grind than a thrill. Getting eyeballs on your information in a world of content-overload is challenging. And, even when you get that attention, a recent study shows that engaging with people online is a rare achievement.
But, you do have information to share and a blog is a great way to do that. You are on the right track if you follow these basic guidelines:
- Blog regularly to share great content: insights, news, and information that appeals to people who are interested in your subject area.
- Share regularly at other sites and link back to your site to back up your thoughts.
- Use the keywords that are common to your topic or industry so your content becomes part of relevant searches.
- Offer tools that make it easy to share your content on social sites like LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and Google +.
- Allow people to sign up to get new posts or send an email newsletter with links to your latest content.
If you do all these things, not only will you have a worthwhile blog, you will have content that will get linked from other sites, increasing your reach. Some links will happen naturally, but there are things that you can do to encourage links:
- Ask. If you blog about someone or an organization, as that they link to your post.
- Link To Others. Blogging is a community and linking to others makes them feel connected to you and more likely to link to your content.
- Be Thankful. Thank people for sharing your posts and link to them. You can do this by posting a comment on relevant posts.