Like me, you may have felt that your social media needs were covered before Instagram arrived on the scene. It’s time to take another look. Instagram use continues to rise while other social networks have more or less plateaued.
Instagram allows users to take a picture or video, choose a filter to transform its look and feel, then post to Instagram. The free application can also be used to share to Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and other social sites.
Here are five tips for using Instagram in your communication efforts.
- Give your products sex appeal. If sell a product or service, show it on Instagram in an interesting way. Show it in use, under construction, or “visiting”an interesting place.
- Bring attention to events. Use photos and videos to promote the event before, during, and after. Set up a hashtag so that participants can join in the sharing effort.
- Celebrate milestones and awards. Avoid the boring grin and grip photo and find a create way to share your accolades. You can even show your team celebrating.
- Highlight community relations. Document your efforts in the community. You can tell people what you support in words, but photos often do that work much more effectively
- Highlight your unique qualities. You know what makes you different from competitor and complementary organizations. Illustrate those differentiators on Instagram.
For more, see my related post, “All You Wanted to Know About Instagram Videos.”