Snapchat has been growing steadily since its inception, and today users share nearly more than 8,000 snaps every second and collectively watch 6 billion videos daily. Column Five and Newscred recently looked at how Snapchat’s audience uses the platform. This data presents some great insights for communicators.
Snapchat by the Numbers
- Snapchat has more than 100 million active users
- 54 percent of use the site daily
- 32 percent use the site two-to-five times a week
Insight for Brands
Brands tend to try to engage on Snapchat with live stories, Discover content, and branded filters but none of these are well used. According to the study, 23 percent of users never use live stories, 54 percent never view content on Discover, and 42 percent never use the branded filters. Snapchat’s users aren’t interested in ads; 87 percent never buy things they see in Snapchat ads.
Users, who tend to be younger, use Snapchat for personal photo sharing. Traditional marketing tactics haven’t gained traction, so brands will need to connect with users on a personal level.
This is a great platform to plant relationship seeds so they can grow into engagement, perhaps off the Snapchat platform. Be social!
- Find Snapchat-ers among your team and brand enthusiasts and have them share relevant content.
- Post great photos that personalize your message; think faces, not packaging.
- Be personal and human. Ditch company lingo and share pics of your quirky office space or your cat.
- Create a video just because it will be fun to watch.
- Help people connect with your other channels.