Social media is not just for kids. The data is undeniable.
Pew has been tracking social media use since 2005. Here are the highlights of data gathered through 2015:
- As of 2015, 65% of American adults now use social networking sites.
- Fastest growth is among those 65 and older (now 35%)
- Women and men use at similar rates
- No differences by racial or ethnic group
- Higher socioeconomic groups generally have higher participation
And here are the user numbers for the largest social networks:
- Facebook – 1.59 Billion monthly active users (Jan., 2016) – That’s larger than the adult population in the US!
- Instagram – 400 Million monthly active users (Sept., 2015)
- Twitter – 320 Million monthly active users (Sept., 2015)
- LinkedIn – 100 Million monthly active users (Oct., 2015)
The numbers show that you need to consider your social media strategy. If you want to connect with all types of people of any age, you need to be on one or more social channels. You can’t ignore social any longer.