They are a great way to use data and text, illustrated with some complimentary images, to make a complex story easy to digest. Keep these things in mind when developing an infographic:
- Select a few key data points that make your point.Don’t throw in every piece of related data you can find.
- Add some text that explains the data.
- Always include source information.
- Unify the details with a common visual theme.
- Always include the publisher (you) and the location that the graphic was originally published. You don’t want to lose your connection to this content that you have created.
A general rule of thumb is that your reader should be able to get the message in 30-40 seconds.
Once you have your infographic completed, don’t forget to be strategic about how you will share it. Spend at least as much time distributing the content as you did creating it.