With Twitter celebrating 10 years this month (can you believe!) I think it is time that we users give ourselves a few presents. Here are tricks to help you manage the fire hose of information and make the most out of your efforts on Twitter:
- Get insight into your account with Twitter Analytics. The dashboard gives you data on impressions, engagement, link clicks, retweets, favorites, and replies. You can even export the data into an Excel file.
- Keep followers and reduce clutter with mute. You can remove certain users’ tweets from your feed without having to unfollow them by muting their accounts. This can help your feed become more manageable without hurting anyone’s feelings.To mute someone’s account, go to their Twitter profile and click the gear icon next to the “Following” button, and choose “Mute” from the dropdown menu.
- Use Who Unfollowed Me? to find out who’s unfollowed your Twitter account. This is useful to see how different approaches in voice, posting time, and other parameters resonate with those who follow you.
- Make better use of hashtags by using research tools like Hashtagify.me and Twazzup. You can also use Twitter’s search tool on Twitter.com to find the latest tweets and top tweets for a specific hashtag, as well as which of the people you follow are using it.
- Bookmark with like. On your own Twitter page, you can see all the tweets you’ve ever liked. Use this as a bookmarking tool for posts you want to research further for, let’s say, creating a blog post!