These days, your activity on social media contributes a great deal to your online identity. Since that identity is seen by everyone – personal, professional, marketers, potential employers, etc. – it is very important that you actively manage your identity online.
Building your online presence means defining your brand online.
- Identify relevant channels. Every social media has its unique vibe. Identify which channels are the most relevant for your online persona and invest your time there.
- Define your value proposition. Your social media persona has to differ from the rest. Understand what should make people view your profile and read your feed and make that value clear in your profile.
- Follow a consistent style and tone. Your social media profile should make a strong image of you. The words you use and how you present them become part of your online identity. This needs to be consistent across all the channels you use.
- Share from your tribe. While you are unique, you are participating in a shared space. A great way to define your place in that space is to share content from others. This is a great way to be part of trends and happenings and to show your connection to them.
- Don’t be afraid to provoke discussion. A healthy bit of controversy and opposition can help to define your brand and differentiate you from the rest. Don’t be afraid to offer your own take on things.