Instagram may be a newcomer to the marketer’s toolkit, but it is fast becoming an important platform. You will need to take steps to stand out.
Instagram now has more than 500 million monthly active users, including both consumers and businesses. Estimates are that 70 million images are shared on the platform every day. With all this traffic as well an algorithm implemented that prevents all followers from seeing all posts, the challenging for businesses are increasing.
Like Facebook’s algorithm, Instagram filters what users see to focus on what they find interesting. It is harder now for businesses to get their posts seen. But with a little strategic focus, it is possible to optimize your impact on Instagram.
- Publish quality images. Instagram is all about visual engagement, so the quality of your images is extremely important. Images should be bright, colorful, and engaging. If you have a newer smartphone, your camera is capable of taking quality photos.
- Get up close
- Look for an interesting or unusual angle
- Use Instagram filters only when they add to the impact of the photo
- Keep the rule of thirds in mind
- Be on trend. Pay attention to what’s trending online. If there is a trending topic that is relevant to your industry or your audience jump in and participate. This makes your brand part of what’s happening now.
- Engage. It sounds trite, but that’s because it’s the best social media strategy out there. You must interact to be relevant. Connect with other users. Comments on their content. Invite their thoughts.
- Attract an audience. Help your audience find you on Instagram by encouraging them to visit from other channels like your website or Facebook page. Don’t forget your offline marketing too. List Instagram and all your social channels on all your marketing material.