Social Media and Your Search Rank

header-rideupsidedownYour social media presence can help you rank higher in searches on Google and other search engines. It is also important to your visibility in searches within social networks.

Social networks are becoming search engines themselves. For example, more than two billion searches conducted on Facebook every day. This means ranking higher when people search for particular content within a social media network can also provide a big boost to your brand.

Like all social media activities, impacting search rank with social efforts is more of a marathon than a sprint. Your overall social media presence over time will impact how your content in ranked. Individual social media profiles and posts rank for search, bringing more visibility to your brand’s networks.

Here are four ways to improve your search rank with social media

1. Create Valuable, Shareable Content

Creating valuable content that offers a unique perspective is key in getting your audience’s attention and getting them to act. If your content adds value, then it is more likely to be shared. The wider the audience you reach, the higher your visibility.

You also need to know and leverage target keywords. More on that next.

2. Optimize Your Profiles for Specific Keywords

Optimize your social network info sections and captions with your industry keywords. While links within your posts are not believed to directly count towards your search ranking, getting your content in front of the right eyes can help you gain followers and in the end help you rank higher in search.

Searches within social media networks rely on keyword strength. Figure out which keywords you want to rank for and work them into your bio and other sections of your profile.

Individual posts on some networks, including Facebook and LinkedIn, are indexed by Google. Using keywords within your content can help your posts appear in search engine results.

3. Include a Call to Action

When promoting your social media content, make sure to include a clear call to action. Your audience needs to be told what you want them to do. This includes: “share this post”, “leave a comment”, or visiting a specific link. In general, follow the 80/20 rule – 20% of posts should include a call to action, while the other 80% should just offer great content.

4. Post Consistently

Post consistently on your social networks. You’ll have to balance follower expectations with your available time, but consistency will help build and grow your brand on social media.

These efforts to build your subject matter expertise on social  media will help you rank higher in all types of searches.