BuzzSumo has recently finished a review of 100 million articles published in 2017. They found important trends for everyone who is using social media to market their business.
The biggest finding: social sharing has halved since 2015. Getting likes and shares is not an effective goal for your digital strategy.
The BuzzSumo 2018 Content Trends Report offers these key findings:
Key content trends identified in the report that should influence your digital marketing strategy:
- Average sharing of content on social networks fell due to increased competition, a rise in private sharing and Facebook algorithm changes.
- Brands and publishers are gaining less organic referral traffic from Facebook and less engagement with their Facebook posts.
- There has been a sharp decline in viral posts that gain hundreds of thousands of shares.
- Clickbait style headlines and listicles are far less effective at generating social engagement than they were.
- The volume of content published continues to increase, and new topic areas get rapidly saturated with content.
- Sites that have built a strong reputation for original, authoritative content have the most impact on social media.
- Authoritative evergreen content consistently gains shares and links over time.
- There has been a growth in content sharing on LinkedIn and many publishers are seeing steady increases in content engagement on the platform.
- There is more sharing of partisan political and tribal content.
Your plan from last year is no good, because of these and other changes in the evolving social media landscape. Be sure you take time for periodic reviews. Make sure the time and dollars you invest are the best choices you can make in the current environment.