If you’re planning a Facebook contest in 2018, make sure you’re up to speed on the current rules. There are some general rules for pages and specific rules for promotions.
Here’s what you need to know.
What’s Considered a Promotion on Facebook
Contest are considered to be promotions on Facebook. These typically include:
- Element of chance
- Giveaway or prize
Make it Clear that Your Promotion Is Completely Independent of Facebook
You must include language like this with your promotion: “This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by or associated with Facebook.”
Post Detailed Contest Rules on a Landing Page
You must offer a complete set of official rules to address things like:
- Impact of a purchase or lack of purchase on eligibility
- Eligibility requirements
- Any exclusions of eligibility, including locations where the promotion is not legal
- The identity of the host
- Entry procedures and beginning/ending times, including time of day and time zone
- A clear description of the prize(s)
- Date and process for selecting winner(s)
- Publicity rights regarding use of participants’ information and content
- Explicit permission from users regarding use of any content they create in order to enter your contest
- Liability limitations
- Odds of winning
It is important to know the rules for the type of contest that you are running, both within Facebook and more generally where you reside.
Don’t Do This on Facebook
Facebook will not permit promotions that require:
- Share the contest on a personal timeline and/or a friend’s timeline. People may choose to share your contest on their timelines, but you cannot require them to do so.
- Tag friends to enter.
Move Your Contest to Your Website
With these rules (and more sure to come), a better idea is to host your contest on your website. You can write your own rules complying only with the regulations of your locality. You will get more traffic to your website and build a connection there.