Success on Instagram is largely about sharing great visuals. Follow these tips to make your Instagram posts awesome.
Tip 1: Make your captions more readable with line breaks
If you like to share long captions, this tip is for you. Edit your photo and proceed to the caption screen. Write your caption. Use Return to add breaks to your caption. To access the Return key, tap the 123 key on your device’s keyboard.
The breaks will start a new line, but not create the white space that you would normally see between two paragraphs. If you want a paragraph break, write out your caption in a note app and copy it to Instagram. To break up lines further, consider using punctuation, such as bullet points or dashes, to hold the place of an empty line.
Tip 2: Adjust the intensity of filters
Do you want to lessen the effect of filters? After uploading or taking a photo, tap the filter you’d like to use. Tap the filter again to open edit options. Use the sliding scale to adjust the intensity of the filter. Tap Done to add the filter to your post and continue your edits.
Tip 3: Upload a post with multiple scenes
You can upload a post with multiple photos and video clips:
- Tap the + icon in the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen
- Tap SELECT MULTIPLE on the Library tab
- Choose the photos and videos from your camera roll that you want to include in your Story
- Choose and edit your filters
- Once you’ve selected your videos, you can tap to trim them or press and hold to reorder
- To delete a clip, drag it to the center of the screen
- Finish your edits as usual and share
To record a video with multiple clips:
- Tap the + icon at the bottom of the screen
- Tap Video
- Tap the circle icon to begin recording
- To take multiple clips, lift your finger off the circle icon to pause, then press and hold it when you want to begin recording again
- To delete a previous clip in your video, tap Delete, then tap again to confirm
Tip 4: Share videos without sound
If the audio of your video doesn’t add to the viewing experience, remove it so it’s not a distraction. Tap the + icon at the bottom of the screen to select the video you’d like to upload. Tap Next. Tap the volume control icon at the top of the screen to mute the video’s sound
Tip 5: Save drafts for later
You can save any post as a draft and come back to it later.
- Tap the + icon at the bottom of the screen to shoot or upload a photo or video
- Edit the post as you like, adding filters, captions, tags, or a location
- Hit the < icon in the upper left-hand corner of the screen to go back to the editing screen
- Hit the < icon again
- A pop-up menu will appear, select Save Draft
- When you’re ready to continue with your edits and share your post, tap the + icon, then select Library
- A new DRAFTS section will now appear above CAMERA ROLL
- Tap your desired post, or select Manage to view all of your saved drafts
- Select a post, edit, and share as usual
Tip 6: Blur the background on a portrait photo
Need to remove distracting content in the background of a photo. You can!
Open the camera and select Focus among the options under the record button. Take a selfie or switch to the rear-facing camera to snap a photo of someone else. The subject will stay in focus while the background blurs.
For more Instagram ideas, see my earlier post with some great hacks.