Here’s some of the latest data on digital use worldwide, compiled by the folks at TNW.
- More than 3.8 billion people, more than half of the world’s total population, use social media
- Globally, more than 5.19 billion people use mobile phones
- The average internet user now spends 6 hours and 43 minutes online each day, with more than one-third of that time spent using social media.
- Mobile phones now account for more than half of all the time we spend online. Roughly 53% of all web page requests now come from mobile phones, but computers still account for 44 percent of the total.
- Apps account for 10 out of every 11 minutes spent using mobile devices.
- Across mobile devices and computers, we now spend an average of 2 hours and 24 minutes per person, per day using social media.
- Facebook is still the top social channel with 2.5 billion monthly active users.
- TikTok has 800 million monthly active users, with more than 60 percent in China.
- 43% of the world’s internet users between aged 16-64 use voice search and voice command.
- 64% of internet users care about privacy – how companies use their data.
- More than 4 in 5 internet users aged 16-64 around the world play video games every month.
- 90% of internet users aged 16 to 64 watch online videos each month.
- 75% of the world’s internet users aged 16 to 64 make purchases online each month, and consumers are more likely to purchase through a mobile device than through a laptop.
Of course, all of this data predates the changes COVID-19 have brought to the world. The data does give interesting insights into behaviors that is worthy of consideration in your approach to digital marketing.