As marketers, we all think that our content is always great. Our audience wants to see everything we post. Maybe not. Maybe we are being annoying.
The reality is that if we aren’t careful, our content can do more harm than good. It is important to understand and heed what your audience does and doesn’t want to see.
These things annoy people. Don’t do them:
- Content that is too wordy or badly written. The best length depends on your audience and the type of message. No matter what the length, make sure it is well-written with proper spelling and grammar.
- Poor design. Make sure those words you put over that image can be read by young eyes and old. Choose colors that enhance rather than detract. And, think carefully before using Comic Sans and other fonts that connote a tone.
- Too personal. Mind your manners online. Understand the nature of your relationships online and respect boundaries.
- New! content that is not new. We all repurpose online, but don’t try to spin something as new when it isn’t. Your audience has a memory.
- Doesn’t work on mobile. Don’t assume that your audience is sitting at a computer. Make sure that everything works as well on a phone as it does on a larger screen. Nothing is more frustrating than wanting to act but not being able to!