A blog is a great way to share your thought leadership and provide fresh content for online marketing. But writing blog posts can be a chore! If you are looking for some content ideas, this post is for you.
Get Content Ideas from Blog and Social Media Comments
When I am running short on ideas, I take a deep dive into my recent content posted at this blog and on social media. I look for likes, shares, and comments as a hint that the topic was of interest to my target audience. Comments are gold – they are rare, but they almost always tell me what’s top of mind and important to readers.
I’m a long-term fan of Google Alerts. I set up alerts for keywords and let Google email the latest relevant content. Couldn’t be easier.
When I know what basic topic I want to cover, I start with a Google search. The best intel comes before I hit enter.
Google will offer suggestions on what to search for as I type. These are based on actual searches people have completed recently. Not only do I get links to places where I can research, I get topics that are currently of interest to real people.
Google also offers common questions related to the topic and related searches. Lots of options from one search!
Learn and Share
I get a lot of content ideas from professional development events. Some ideas come just by scanning the topics being offered.
Once a week, I try to participate in a webinar. This gives me a deeper dive into a topic that can turn into great content.
Conferences are a larger investment of time and money, but can be very inspirational. I am always sure to keep the program from a conference. The topics give me ideas for posts and also ideas for people I can tap as guest bloggers.
5 Quick Topic Ideas for Business Bloggers
- Tap into the news of the day. What is in the news today related to your industry or topic. Use a Google search to see the latest headlines. Write about your take.
- Get inspired by questions. What was the last question you were asked by a client, prospect or peer? Chances are more people have the same question. Answer it in a post.
- Revisit the basics. Cover your products and services. Don’t assume your readers know or remember.
- Invite a guest blogger. Ask someone who is influential in your industry to share their take on a current topic.
- Share a client success story. Tell a story about how you have served a client and the benefits to both organizations.
Bonus tip: Look at this calendar of remembrances and holidays for more great content ideas!